Edexcel GCSE History
Pearson, Unit Code: 1HIO
How To Revise For Edexcel GCSE History
To begin revising for GCSE History, the first thing you will need is the specification for your exam board.
This section provides revision resources for the Edexcel (Pearson) exam board.
The specification unit code is 1HIO.
- You can find the GCSE History specification here.
As for the subject itself, GCSE History is quite possibly one of the most interesting subjects you can learn as part of your optional GCSEs.
There are a number of topics covering key aspects of world history that you can choose to study.
When are the GCSE History exams?
- The exam itself consists of three papers.
- Paper 1 has the unit code 1HI0/10-12 and is scheduled for 1st June 2020 (AM)
- Paper 2 has the unit code 1HI0/2A-2W and is scheduled for 4th June 2020 (PM)
- Paper 3 has the unit code 1HI0/30-33 and is scheduled for 9th June 2020 (AM)
What topics will I be learning?
You will be required to learn at least 4 topics in-depth across the 3 exam papers.
In total, however, there are approximately 16 topics you can choose from that cover key historical periods.
For Paper 1, you will be given the choice of learning about one of the following topics:
- Crime and punishment in Britain, c1000–present and Whitechapel, c1870–c1900: crime, policing and the inner city.
- Medicine in Britain, c1250–present and The British sector of the Western Front, 1914–18: injuries, treatment and the trenches.
- Warfare and British society, c1250–present and London and the Second World War, 1939–45.
For Paper 2, you will be required to learn two topics.
Firstly, one British depth study from the following selection:
- Anglo-Saxon and Norman England, c1060–88
- The reigns of King Richard I and King John, 1189–1216
- Henry VIII and his ministers, 1509–40
- Early Elizabethan England, 1558–88.
And a period study from the following topics:
- Spain and the ‘New World’, c1490–c1555
- British America, 1713–83: empire and revolution
- The American West, c1835–c1895
- Superpower relations and the Cold War, 1941–91
- Conflict in the Middle East, 1945–95.
For Paper 3, you will need to study one modern depth study from the following:
- Russia and the Soviet Union, 1917–41
- Weimar and Nazi Germany, 1918–39
- Mao’s China, 1945–76
- The USA, 1954–75: conflict at home and abroad.
You can find resources below for your chosen topics – more content is being added over time.
Topic 1: Early Elizabethan England, 1558-88
- Queen, government and religion, 1558–69
- Challenges to Elizabeth at home and abroad, 1569–88
- Elizabethan society in the Age of Exploration, 1558–88
Topic 2: Weimar and Nazi Germany, 1918-39
Topic 3: Medicine in Britain, c1250–present (coming soon)
- c1250–c1500: Medicine in medieval England
- c1500–c1700: The Medical Renaissance in England
- c1700–c1900: Medicine in eighteenth- and nineteenth-century Britain
- c1900–present: Medicine in modern Britain
Topic 4: Crime and punishment in Britain, c1000–present (Coming Soon)
- c1000–c1500: Crime and punishment in medieval England
- c1500–c1700: Crime and punishment in early modern England
- c1700–c1900: Crime and punishment in eighteenth and nineteenth-century Britain
- c1900–present: Crime and punishment in modern Britain
Topic 5: Warfare and British society, c1250–present (Coming soon)
- c1250–c1500: Medieval warfare and English society
- c1500–c1700: Warfare and English society in the early modern period
- c1700–c1900: Warfare and British society in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries
- c1900–present: Warfare and British society in the modern era
Past Exam Papers & Mark Schemes
- AQA GCSE Psychology Paper 1 Exam Paper 2019
- AQA GCSE Psychology Paper 2 Exam Paper 2019
- AQA GCSE Psychology Paper 1 Mark Scheme 2019
- AQA GCSE Psychology Paper 2 Mark Scheme 2019
- AQA GCSE Psychology Paper 1 Exam Paper 2018
- AQA GCSE Psychology Paper 2 Exam Paper 2018
- AQA GCSE Psychology Paper 1 Mark Scheme 2018
- AQA GCSE Psychology Paper 2 Mark Scheme 2018
Workbooks / Resources / Quizzes
- Download Memory Workbook
- Download Perception Workbook
- Download Development Workbook
- Download Research Methods Workbook
- Download Social Influence Workbook
- The video above gives you a breakdown of your GCSE History course.
- Simply create an account and start learning right away.
- It’s completely free.
Time Left Until First Exam 2020 (Now Cancelled)
Latest 9-1 GCSE Fully Covered
No Expensive Textbooks Required
Create an Account & Get Started
Workbook / Resources
Past Exam Papers / Mark Schemes
Hi, I’m Nathan and I’m the subject lead for GCSE History.
Got a question? Simply drop a comment below.
Ready To Sit Your Exams?
Take any GCSE and A-level exam at our approved exam centre in the East Midlands.
For home learners, retake students and mature students.
Link To Us
Find our website helpful?
Add a link to your school website and help your students get resources.
Podcast (coming Soon)
Check out the GCSE History podcast,
Check Out These Related Posts
When are the GCSE exams for 2020?Which exam board are you studying? To know the dates for your GCSE exams for 2020, you firstly need to identify which exam board you are studying for your subject. There are 4 main exam boards which are AQA, Edexcel (Pearson), OCR and...
How To Revise For GCSE Psychology The ultimate step-by-step guide for students, teachers and private students. The first question to ask yourself when revising for GCSE psychology is which exam board am I studying? There are 4 main exam boards used in the UK. They...